What is The Right Age For Surgery?
When is knee replacement surgery recommended?
What is the right age for total knee surgery?
Your surgeon's recommendation for knee replacement is based mainly on your level of pain and disability; there are no absolute restrictions on age or weight. Most of the people who have knee replacement surgery are between the ages of 50 and 80. The procedure has a high success rate and is considered relatively safe and effective.1 Women are more likely to undergo the procedure; in 2009, the rate of knee arthroplasty for female patients was 57 percent higher than for males2.
How do I know when it's time to consider surgery?
There are several reasons why your doctor may recommend knee replacement surgery.
People who benefit from knee replacement surgery often have:
- Knee pain that limits everyday activities, such as walking or bending
- Knee pain that continues while resting, either day or night
- Stiffness in a knee that limits the ability to move or bend the leg
- Inadequate pain relief from anti-inflammatory drugs, physical therapy, or walking supports
Important safety notes
Individual results of joint replacement vary. Implants are intended to relieve knee pain and improve function, but may not produce the same feel or function as your original knee. There are potential risks with knee replacement surgery such as loosening, wear and infection that may result in the need for additional surgery. Patients should not perform high impact activities such as running and jumping unless their surgeon tells them that the bone has healed and these activities are acceptable. Early device failure, breakage or loosening may occur if a surgeon's limitations on activity level are not followed.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website, accessed March 7, 2017: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00389
- HCUP Facts and Figures: Statistics on Hospital-based Care in the United States, 2009. Accessed March 7, 2017: https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/factsandfigures/2009/TOC_2009.jsp
Dr. O'Grady's Guide to Common Knee Injuries
This free guide was created to educate and inform about the most common knee injuries that occur.
Dr. O'Grady's Guide to Rotator Cuff Injuries
This free guide provides an overview of rotator cuff injuries and treatment options.
Crossfit Athlete Resources
Dr. O'Grady has put together an extensive library of blog posts and resources for today's Crossfit athletes.